Tuesday 25 August 2015

I'm Off The Rails In August

Hello there!

I'm back today to share a start-to-finish mixed media layout for Off The Rails.. I've used the stunning sketch and the fabulous mood board as my inspiration.

Here they are:


I adore the colours in the mood board and that sketch is yummo!

Here's what I made:


I used lots of Dusty Attic paints on this as the colours were a perfect match for the mood board colours.

Step 1



Tear out a coupe of book pages and roughly paint them with watered-down Silks. I used African Jade and Guatemalan Green.

Step 2



Tear the pages and adhere around where your photos will sit. Stamp in random places around the edges. I used a Kaisercraft "Journal' stamp.

Step 3



Apply texture paste, gesso or similar through a stencil. My stencil is a Tim Holtz one called Burlap.

Step 4



Use a sponge to apply 'Sunshine' Dusty in Colour paint through a TCW stencil.

Step 5



Find a lid from a bottle of spray. Dip it in black paint and use this to stamp a row of circles on the right of the photo and groups around the photo.

Step 6



Taking the Tim Holtz stencil again, apply the four colours from the mood board randomly around the photo area using a sponge. I used Dusty in Colour paints in Sunshine, Mountain Meadow, Stormy Skies and Oceania mixed with Faded Denim.

Step 7



Mount the photos on yellow patterned paper and white cardstock. Punch a wide border from white cardstock, trim to fit and attach under the photo framing. Use a black pen to outline the photos.

Step 8



Stamp an image to compliment your photos and colour it with Silk and paints. Cut out and attach to you photos.

Step 9



Paint your chipboard alphas and some diamonds to scatter around your photo. Add alpha stickers to finish off the title.

Step 10



Add a few embellishments, including the date and place, between the photos and you're done! I used a Dusty Attic Page Pebble for the sub-title.

I sure hope you can join in the Off The Rails Challenge this month!


Happy scrappin'!


Heather

14 comments:

  1. Lovely tutorial and gorgeous layout! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be one,of my favs! Love those beach huts, fabulous step by step too.. Great take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lizzy C.....I'm not sure if it's the bg, the colours, or those bath huts. But I LOOOOOVE the whole lot!!!! Gorgeous:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love love love love this one so MUCH!! LOVING the colors, the textured layers and loving how you did the little houses in the same colors!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how this came together - gives me lot's of ideas :-) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Heather!! What a fabulous take on the sketch and mood board. Love the photos and the step by step is awesome. Pinning this 'cos I love it and it gave me some ideas as well!! Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful ..Its very interesting to see the steps how you created the bg..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great start-to-finish, Heather! That cardstock border gives a beautiful finish.;) Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely page. Love the use of the book pages and the vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great tutorial Heather...I love to see your process and I love that you are not afraid of colour...a gorgeous page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So super Heather...love those photo's and the design and elements of your page! Love it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So bright, fresh and summery. Very interesting to see the step by step and watch it evolve. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great little tutorial Heather! I love love to see how you built up such a fantastic background...inspires me to use my paints more( I always find myself reaching for my inks) very beautiful design! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Great mixed media step by step!!

    ReplyDelete